Hartford Heritage Society hosts antique auto show at Irish museum Aug. 28

PHOTOS: The J&O Irish Store museum of the Hartford Heritage Society, with interior views of the store and Irish family house. (Submitted photos)

HARTFORD — The J&O Irish Store was built in 1867 and was deeded to the Hartford Heritage Society in 1976, and is now a museum.
The Hartford Heritage Society will host an antique auto show from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 28, at the J&O Irish Store museum, 1225 Main St.
A relish or jam will be given to all antique autos on display and there will also be a Best of Show gift for fist, second and third place. Food will be sold, and there will also be free ice cream sundaes, served inside the museum.
The society is working to preserve the museum. The store was run by James and Orlando Irish until 1953. They were the grandsons of Edmund Irish, one of the first settlers of Hartford. Many people depended on the store for groceries, kerosene, grain and other supplies. Merchandise came in by train. The railroad ran a few feet from the back of the store. A post office was established as well. The museum comprises the store, post office and Orlando Irish family living quarters. There is also a large barn attached that houses the horses and wagons. The James Irish family lived next door.
The society has been restoring the property since 1976, and in 1982 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.