Arnold Expedition artifacts on display at Dead River Historical Society July 28

STRATTON — The Dead River Area Historical Society will host Ken Wing’s exhibit of what is believed to be the largest collection of artifacts from the Benedict Arnold expedition, from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, July 28. Wing will share the story of how Col. Benedict Arnold marched through Maine on his trek to Quebec City in 1775.
Wing and his father spent many years searching the area of Arnold’s march with a metal detector and found a wide assortment of items left by Arnold and his men. Wing’s book, “The Lost Villages of Flagstaff Lake,” will also be available for sale and signing.
The event is not a presentation, but a gathering of people knowledgeable about the featured subject and those attending will a lot by just listening to these folks talk to each other.
On display in the museum are artifacts, manuscripts and photographs that have been donated or loaned by townspeople and descendants of original families of the Dead River region. Collections from 1850 on include old carpentry and logging tools, china, glass, church organ, furniture from native families, a complete schoolroom, a memorial room to the “lost” towns of Flagstaff and Dead River, the lineage of several native families, and a host of memorabilia from native homesteads.
For more information call Mary Henderson at 207-246-2271.

PHOTO: A plaque commemorates the spot where the Arnold Expedition carried their supplies across the Kennebec River to portage them 12 miles to the Dead River. The Dead River Historical Society in Stratton will feature Ken’ Wint’s extensive collection of artifacts from the expedition 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, July 28. (Maureen Milliken photo)